My automatic garage door only opens halfway

Old 12-31-03, 10:54 PM
ttran
Visiting Guest
My automatic garage door only opens halfway

Hello everyone,

Here is my first post in DIY forum and I hope I'll get tons of help from all you experts out there. My automatic garage door has been working fine for the last two or three years until recently. It is always having problem opening (stuck mid-way), yet it closes fine (10 out of 10). How do I fix it?

Thank you all.

ttran

Old 12-31-03, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, unhook from the opener and try to lift the door. If you can't lift it by hand then something is in a bind or a spring is broke.

If it opens easily by hand:
Try running the opener without lifting the door. Does it open all the way?
Openers need adjusting from time to time. Weather affects them too. It may just need a little more upforce.
Next I'd look for a pulley or belt slipping.

Let us know what you find....

Oh, and you should be able to lift the door and it stay near or at whatever level you lift it to. It shouldn't slam down (or up)

Old 01-01-04, 07:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully, you have the owners manual for your opener. If so, look for a section describing adjustment of closing and opening force. It's a different adjustment than the door travel.

Do the things webrebel decsribes. If everything checks out OK, you may need to tweak the opening force adjustment. Mine is having a problem closing. When I get all the Xmas junk off my workbench, I need to do the same thing.

Old 01-01-04, 12:01 PM
ttran
Visiting Guest
I had done all those things

Thanks webrebel and Dave_D1945 for taking the time to reply to my request. I hope you two and yours had the nicest Xmas and holidays.

webrebel: My door did all you had suggested. I guess it's time to check the adjustment Dave_D1945 was talking about.

The hardest thing is to locate the manual ;-) thanks again.

TT

Old 01-01-04, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't have yours (and few people do ) you might try the manufacturers web site. It may be available as a pdf file.

Had an excellent Xmas and New Years, thanks. Hope you did too. Big storm today, so it's a good day to veg out in the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: