Garage door driving me crazy

Old 01-06-04, 08:03 AM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Garage door driving me crazy

I have a double (2 car) garage with 2 single doors. I replaced the spring (one per door) the opener for both and some rollers in the summer of 2002. Everything was original when the house was built in 1981.

The problem is this. One door works perfect, everytime. The other door will not close when the temperature drops below 40 degrees or so. You press the button and it goes down about 10 inches and goes back up. No blinking lights or anything. You can repeat the process and sometimes it will close. If that does not work, you have to hold the button down on the inside unit until the door closes.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 01-06-04, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do your openers have adjustments for opening and closing force? (Not the same as door travel.) You may need to tweak the closing force to overcome some binding due to thermal contraction of the tracks.

Another possibility and please don't laugh until you try it.

Is the sun shining on one of the safety sensors when this happens. If so, have someone stand outside and block the sunlight on the sensor while you close the door. You may find that this is the answer. It seems that direct sunlight can confuse the infrared sensors. Block the light and they work like they should.

When I first heard this, I blew it off as the ravings of someone with way too much time on their hands. One December day, my door wouldn't work and I tried it. The door worked like a charm.

The problem wasn't temperature related at all, but was caused by the low angle of the morning sun shining directly on one of the sensors.

Old 01-06-04, 09:12 AM
K
Need more downforce

I will adjust that tonight, thanks. I will have to make sure not to give it too much, right?

As far as light goes, the doors face West and it happens both day and night. It does make sense.

Old 01-06-04, 02:21 PM
It probably removes sunlight from the list of possible culprits. It was a long shot, but a possibility.

Just adjust the force enough so it works. No sense in cranking it up too high.

Old 01-07-04, 12:11 PM
K
Thanks, that worked great!

Old 01-07-04, 01:31 PM
Now, if I could just get my workbench cleared long enough to do mine!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: