Garage warmth

Old 01-06-04, 07:27 PM
ChipJ
Visiting Guest
Garage warmth

Hey all, this is more of a statement than a question. I have a 2 car garage underneath the house, more specifically it is directly under the kitchen. Ever since we bought the house we noticed that the kitchen floor was very cold all the time, which I thought was odd since the furnace is in the garage. A couple years ago I thought it would be a good idea to replace the cheesy translucent fiberglass garage doors, which most likely had a negative "R" value, if that is possible. That turned out to be a mistake, because it took forever to install them and I didn't do a very good job. And the kitchen floor was still cold. The doors are nice, but still looked crappy thanks to me. So last year I decided to insulate the floor above the garage. Kitchen floor still cold, but it did help a bit. Then this year, I really wanted power garage door openers, but decided that since I have already invested lots of time in the garage, that I wanted to have them professionally installed. I had the estimator guy come out, and within 2 days, I had 2 brand new garage door openers, and they straightened up the installation of my doors. They put weatherstripping around the doors as well.

The reason I am telling you all this is because I am sitting here in my kitchen and it is 10 degrees outside, and I don't have my slippers on. My kitchen floor is actually warm. It's a miracle!! I am almost excited to see my oil bill, I have to think it will be lower this winter. So if you have a garage under your home, insulate it, make sure you have decent insulated doors, and weather strip around the doors. It really does matter! Oh ya, one more bit of advice....pay the $100 or so to have someone who knows what they are doing to install your new garage doors. It is definately worth every penny!

Old 01-07-04, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was a good story, and I believe every word of it. Yes, you did the right thing about calling in a pro. Happy Warm winter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: