automatic garage door

Old 01-11-04, 03:32 PM
Janell Fields
Visiting Guest
automatic garage door

My garage door makes a horrible grinding/squeaking noise when it's opened (it's automatic). I know I need to oil or grease it, but where do I put the oil or grease and what type do I use? My users manual simply says to lubricate the mechanism. What mechanism?

Old 01-13-04, 10:33 PM
dennist 1
Visiting Guest
Well Janell it sounds like you might want to consider a new door. But what you want to do with the door itself is to oil the rollers with any standard motor oil, you will need to get a spout can to squirt it on the bearings which are located in near the center of the rollers. Next take some spray lub such as wd-40 and spray the center of the hinges on the gararge door. Also spray down those springs. with the same oil that you used to lube up those rollers you want to squirt it along the inside part of the horizontal track . That would be the track where the door rolls on to while going in the up position. as far as the rail for your opener i say You wipe it clean and apply a low temp grease to it . Chances are that this might not help you out alot, Its very possible that that you have bad hinges and bad rollers and might need a spring adjusted.

Old 01-14-04, 10:51 AM
Janell Fields
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice, Dennist 1. This door has given us problems before. Maybe it is time to check into replacing it. I'll try lubricating it like you suggested first.

Janell

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: