2 single doors to one big door

Old 01-21-04, 02:55 PM
mostwanted
Visiting Guest
2 single doors to one big door

I have a detached 24 x 30 with 2 single doors. There is about 18" between the top of the door and the bottom of the rafters. I want cut out the center column and take the heigth of the door up as far as possible. THere is not a header installed. Will I need one? Any other ideas?

Old 01-22-04, 03:43 PM
dennist 1
Visiting Guest
You need at least 12" of head room from the top of the opening to the bottom of the joist, I f you plan to put in an opener you need at least 2 more inches, So you need at least 14" of headroom . Now you can install a door with double low tracks or even with quick turns. Thats if you got less then 12 " of headroom. If your gonna put in a single door I would make it easy and allow yourself the 14" of headroom to the joist. The double low tracks dont run quite as a good as your regular radius tracks.And quick turns on a door are sloppy. Also you will need to have a header installed the entire width of the door. Check with your local codes to see what material they want you to use because there is several ways of doing it .

Old 01-23-04, 09:58 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How wide will the door be? Which way do the roof rafters run?
If you're lucky, the door is on a gable end, meaning there is little load to be transferred to the ground.

I suspect the overriding factors are the width of the new door, and the style of new door.

Old 01-24-04, 04:44 PM
mostwanted
Visiting Guest
I do not have possesion of the property yet, so my figures are estimates. THe two single doors are a little more than 8ft wide. I belive the total width is 18-20ft. The rafters run parallel to the doors. I am not shure what gable means. Thanks

Old 01-24-04, 05:25 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the rafters run parallel to the doors, you shouldn't have any issues with your plan, EXCEPT for "collar beams". Collar beams are the cross-piece that creates the "A" in your rafters. Don't screw with your collar beams.

If any of this doesn't sound right, you need to get on-site advice.
If you have manufactured trusses, you must get on-site advice before you go chopping into them.

Old 01-24-04, 07:15 PM
mostwanted
Visiting Guest
This definatly wont be a do-it-all-bymyself project. One or more of my buddies can help me that has expieriance.

What are the commen dimensions of the header board? 2x6? 4x6?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: