garage door path

Old 01-22-04, 10:58 AM
CampyGuy
Visiting Guest
garage door path

ok, here's a weird one for you:

i'm pondering finishing my garage for a home theater, seems perfect for it as there aren't any windows and since the walls aren't finished, i could do the soundproofing correctly.

anyway, i was thinking of leaving the garage door in place, and just building a wall behind it. even if you do it right, pouring up a foundation wall even with the others, i think the houses i've seen with finished garages still look weird, with a driveway going all the way to the house, and in my case, no window or anything.

ok so that's no big deal, but i'd also like a place to keep my lawnmower and a couple other things i currently keep in tha garage.

so what i came up with is this: a normal garage door slides up, turns 90 and the path runs parallel to the ceiling, out of the way when it's open. does anyone think it's possible to have it run up, then turn around 180, with the same radius, or slightly larger as the existing bend, so it runs back down along a new wall i would build inside the garage (so the living space is a few feet smaller than the garage was).

seems like that would be possible, i just wonder about setting up the springs for that. the other option would be an overhead door like in a factory type building with a very high ceiling, but i've never seen those for a house-sized garage, and i like the looks of the door i have, and it would be nice to keep it.

any thoughts or agruments against?

Old 01-23-04, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CampyGuy,

Seems like a "owners choice" issue and of course the Building Permit to do it.

Can't give you a good answer as I'd ahve to see what you have but the idea sounds good but there is more to it than that. What about a garage for you to use? Can you build another?

Is pouring concrete a good idea in case you ever wanted to convert back to a garage, consider a floor joist system that could be removed? Stuff like this.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-27-04, 09:23 AM
CampyGuy
Visiting Guest
i'm not really interested in putting my car away, currently i just park on my driveway and the garage is just storage.

i think houses that obviously once had a garage and don't anymore look weird, that's why i was thinking of just leaving the garage door there.

i was planning on using joists on the sub floor, probably w/t resting on the floor, basically to give enough height to add some insulation.

thing is, my idea of having the garage door move back down the new wall, the more i think about it, the more it seems coming up with a spring arrangement would be very difficult as i would need to effectivly lift the door when both opening and closing it, and i assume you have some code to comply with for garage door springs.

Old 01-27-04, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CampyGuy,

To my knowledge, there is no code on the type of garage door spring that can be used, as there are only 2 types available - torsion or extension springs.

By rights, a properly adjusted door should be able to lift up or pull down with one hand, easy.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: