Door opens/closes, but very jerky

Old 01-26-04, 11:18 AM
humptydoo
Visiting Guest
Door opens/closes, but very jerky

I recently had both springs replaced on one of my garage doors (one of the springs had broken). Anyway, I was sure this would fix the "jerkiness" I was seeing when my garage door opener would close or open the door.... WRONG! I had the guy that installed the springs try and troubleshoot the jerkiness and he checked for loose bolts, etc. and even replace the rollers with new nylon ones.. still no good. Just to get the door to go up and down, he adjusted the "force" setting on the opener so that the door will open and close. I suspect a problem with the door rails. Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot/fix rail problems? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-04, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
humptydoo,

Does the door go up and down easily when disconnected from the garage door opener track?

Are the door tracks level vertically?

Old 01-26-04, 12:48 PM
humptydoo
Visiting Guest
Hi Doug.. no... even with the door opener disconnected, the door is extremely jerky when opening or closing... especially when closing.

Old 01-26-04, 12:51 PM
humptydoo
Visiting Guest
The door tracks appear to be pretty close to vertical.. I can see the rollers going in and out to compensate slightly.

Old 01-26-04, 12:52 PM
humptydoo,

I am assuming no on teh first question.

I am wondering if the door track is not plumb vertically?

Break out a 4 foot level and check both sides and front of track. Was the door track hit with a car that might have knocked it out of whack?

Old 01-26-04, 12:56 PM
humptydoo,

Try the 4 foot level? Pretty close only counts in horseshoes!

Old 01-26-04, 01:03 PM
humptydoo
Visiting Guest
No..the door has not been hit with a car. It used to open/close pretty smoothly until one of the springs broke. When the springs were replaced (as a pair), that was when it really got jerky and the rail was wobbling all over the place. The tech that replaced the springs could not find any other problem, so I went out with a flashlight and started checking the door track. I found where one of the bolts that holds the door track on one side near the ceiling had come loose from the wall, so I put some longer screws back in. That made it a lot sturdier. The tech that replaced the springs came out and readjusted them, but, it did not really help with the jerkiness.

Old 01-26-04, 01:18 PM
humptydoo,

Call the company back to recheck everything - it should be their responsibility! Best thing I suggest as something is not right - maybe there is another bolt or two that are getting in the way of the roller. Check everything!

Good Luck!

Old 01-26-04, 01:44 PM
humptydoo
Visiting Guest
Thanks Doug!