Garage Door Opener

Old 02-01-04, 10:04 AM
rebelrouser
Visiting Guest
Garage Door Opener

I HAVE A GARAGE DOOR THAT I CAN'T FIND A OPENER FOR. MY GARAGE CEILING IS 12 FT. AND THE DOOR GOES UP THE WALL FOR 4FT. BEFORE TURNING AND FOLLOWING TH CEILING. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW TO HOOK-UP A GARAGE DOOR OPENER ON THIS KIND OF DOOR. THANKS REBELROUSSER

Old 02-01-04, 05:26 PM
B
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've done this type of door on a couple commercial projects where the client wanted as much headroom as possible under the door when it's in the open position. The only operator that works is a jackshaft operator. It mounts beside the door at the shaft that has the spring and it turns the shaft. The problem you will have is that, with only 4' of rise before the door track turns, there is not much weight to get the door started down and the cable has a tendency to unwind. The solution is to change the gearing so the door moves slower and install springs at the end of the track that give the door a push to get it started on the way down.

You will need to contact a professional for this type of installation.

The easier solution may be to put in a conventional track; then you can use a conventional operator. Hope this helps.

Bruce

Old 02-01-04, 06:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What size is the door, and what size is the opening?

It sounds like you are using a standard type garage door that x wide and 12' tall to cover an x wide ~7' tall opening?

While this doesn't really answer your question, this is the kind of door you need for what you are trying to accomplish..
This door an 8'x8' with the operator, about $900 uninstalled.

http://www.gulfcoastriders.com/membe...lery/gdoor.jpg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: