Water problem in Garage

Old 02-14-04, 07:35 PM
rick31797
Visiting Guest
Water problem in Garage

My problem for many years, is in the winter we keep the cars in the garage and alot of water ends up on the garage floor and it runs too the far wall and collects there .
The far wall is where the garage attaches to the house..
When they poured the floor in the Garage why they didnt slop it the other way, so it runs out the front would have been better..

My question is...should and how do you put a drain in....do you just drill a hole until you hit gravel...will that be enough...

I have also thought about getting a Concrete saw and making a 1/4 inch cut about 2 inches from the wall , the whole length of the Garage..and then the water would run down, but if it runs down and freezes, then i might be in bigger trouble.

I guess the last idea is leave the cars outside...
Rick

Old 02-15-04, 04:14 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
In my opinion, just drilling a hole in the floor and letting it run into the ground would be a code violation. If there is ever a spill of flammable liquids, that becomes a problem.

I don't know that there an easy answer to that one. Don't know where you live, but if you live in a very cold northern climate, sloping to the garage door is not the perfect solution either. I can tell you from personal experience that, in the winter, it will freeze the weatherstripping to the floor. Right now, I just kick the ice chunks off the car, shovel up the slush, and just generally keep after it. Not the best solution, but the only one I could find that works.

Maybe someone will come along with a really good idea to solve your problem.

Bruce

Old 02-15-04, 08:11 AM
rick31797
Visiting Guest
hi

We live in Ontario Canada, close to Thousand Island NY( not as cold as you think) Yesterday it got to 47F..very mild for the time of year, but is suppose to get cold again.
Most of the time its more slushy water than ice, so i sweep it out.
What i will do when it gets mild is put alot of cauking along the floor to atleast keep the water from running further, under the wall.
Thanks Rick

Old 02-16-04, 06:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think the same idiots built my house, rick. I put plywood "shelving" on top of pavers around the periphery of the garage, so the boxes, wood and stuff is up out of the water. Get really nice fluffy salt formations when it finally dries out! Not ideal but we're living with it...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: