Want to Add a Finished Room over Garage

Old 02-15-04, 07:50 PM
Rogers Family
Visiting Guest
Question Want to Add a Finished Room over Garage

Has anyone ever added a room over a garage? I'm just wondering approximately how much this may cost me. Ranch style brick home with attached 1 car garage.

Old 02-15-04, 09:31 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What are you starting with? A bonus room, or just a roof?

A lot depends on the footer of the garage. Here in Indy, a 16" wide footer is needed for two stories. Since the tract home builders would rather have a large footer instead of managing two sizes of backhoe buckets, you may have an adequately sized footer.

Then, how big do you want? A bonus room is essentially trusses that have a square in the middle of them, which can be finished to a room in the future. If you have those "bonus room" trusses, your path won't be too painful.

If instead you desire a second story with the exact footprint of the garage, you may need to remove the roof, install flooring joist/trusses and build walls for the second story. And then put a roof back on.

Building "up" is sometimes a good idea, and building "out" is sometimes the better idea. If your lot size allows, your best option may be an addition built on a slab.

Also, rooms over garages are typically cold, because the insulation of floor joists isn't adequate. Whether it's a simple matter of specifying thicker fiberglass or using a spray foam insulation (superior performance) I can't say.

I suggest talking to some local builders and get their proposals and suggestions. Since the room needs to be comfortable to avoid becoming a second-story garage, make sure any contract specifies the results you desire in regards to heating and cooling. That is, if it's cold in the winter and hot in the summer, obligate the builder to make it right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: