noisy garage door opener

Old 02-24-04, 06:39 PM
no_sparks
Visiting Guest
noisy garage door opener

i just installed a genie garage door opener. this is one of their middle of the line quality - screw drive. I am replacing an old sears chain drive that finally gave up the ghost.

After installing, I find this new genie is incredibly noisy. although door opens and closes fine...the drive motor has this very loud buzz/vibration/growl...it is much louder than the old unit i just took down. everything is tight, so there is not a loose component vibrating....i would love to take it back to Home Depot, but it is such a pain to disassemble...

any ideas?

thanks,

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-04, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brian,
Is the screw drive lubed? I have a Genie screw drive door opener on my garage since 1979 and this thing keeps on going! One thing you have to do with a screw drive is keep it lubed. When mine starts to get alittle load I know it's time to lube the screw drive. I usually do mine 2-3 times a year. Here is the best grease I've found to use on screw drive door openers. It's called "Lubriplate" "AERO" grade. It's made by the Fiske Brothers Refining Co. Newark, NJ 07105 & Toledo, Ohio 43605. Phone 1-800-733-4756 or visit www.lubriplate.com . I think Lowes & HD sell this in a small gray tube, but if you have a local distributor you may be able to get the larger tubes at a more resonable price. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions post them up.