Stick built or metal garage

Old 04-27-04, 10:08 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking Stick built or metal garage

I just received a quote from a local metal building company as follows on a metal detached garage to house our TT:

Garage size: 20x30 gable roof.
Sidewalls: 12'
Doors: 1 overhead door 12'h x 14'w
Wind Speed load: 70mph (required for our area)
Snow Load: 20# (required for our area)
Paint warranted 30 years by manufacture against fading, peeling, etc. (we all know how that goes with manufacture warranties)

Cost: 13,759.00 installed including, permits, site prep, concrete slab floor and foundation and cleanup.

Options additional to cost:
Walk in door
Skylights
Windows

The concern I have is that I have never owned a metal garage, all previous garages were stick built with exterior stucco and tile roofs. The cost for the metal garage seems reasonable for our area.

If I may ask for the PRO's and CON's on building a metal versus stick build garage would be most appreciated, Maintenance, Insurance, life span, resell, etc. etc.

Old 05-07-04, 10:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The price seems reasonable, but the wind speed rating seems low. That same garage would have a 150 mph wind speed rating, a walk in door and several windows here for pretty much the same price. I don't think a garage door qualifies as an exit path (for fire code), so the walk in door isn't really an option.

See if they have one built and go look at it, grab a wall stud and shake it and just generally get an idea of how well constructed it is. Find out what gauge of steel is used compared to other steel structures in your area, etc.

FWIW, when I was looking at steel garages, they said start to finish time was about 6 weeks. Payment was, I believe, 30% to start (this pays for the slab and site work), 50% when the materials are ordered/arrive and the last 20% on completion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: