Car won't fit!

Old 05-06-04, 01:56 PM
snilo
Visiting Guest
Car won't fit!

My husband and I are thinking about buying the perfect house for our family. There is only one problem with the entire house and that is that my minivan won't fit through the garage door! It has two single doors and a fairly large garage. My husband thinks we can enlarge the door space and replace the garage door ourselves. I am starting to think this sounds like a major project. Does anyone have any experience with a project like this?

Thank you,
Jennifer

Old 05-07-04, 05:41 AM
B
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
We have almost the same problem with my wife's minivan; when we bought the house, the mirrors cleared the door trim by about 1" each side. By modifying the trim on the sides of the door, we got it to 1-3/4" each side. The passenger side mirror has a little bit of white paint on it.

To widen the overall door may be major surgery, depending on whether the wall supports roof framing, the type of siding, etc. You will have to put in a new header over the door when you widen the door. All of this is do-able if you have the proper carpentry skills, tools, etc. Of course, you can also hire out the work.

Bruce

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: