Two floors in one

Old 05-11-04, 11:21 AM
Misc
Visiting Guest
Question Two floors in one

Hi, I have a old 12' x 20' garage, the frame seems solid enought, but unfortunually the walls seem to bow out some what, I had a couple of poeple look at it, and what seems to be the answer other than tearing it down and building another, is to lift the garage, tear out the foundation and repour the cement, now apon further investigation, it seems that what ghappend is that when origonaly built the old owners had poured a cement floor and rested the garage on it, and then a few years down the road the cement cracked and to fix it, they just poured more cement inside the garage, not bothering to lift it. Now a lot more years down the road,what seams like two floors, both have cracked, and the one that was poured on the inside is pushing out the walls of the garage. I dug a couple of corners out and it seams like the cement goes about a little over a foot into the groung plus whatever crush stone they had used for a base, but I don't know if it's like that everyware? my question is would it be cheaper to tear everything down and build a new garage, or try to lift the old frame, anddig out the old floors and redo them.
thank you

Old 05-12-04, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misc,

Based upopn what you descibe and not knowing where you live, I'd say tear it all out and do it right. The suggestion of trying to lift everything up and then put all back down is labor intensive. It's not exactly a do-it-yourself project and when everything is said and done, it's still an OLD, SMALL garage.

Granted we are talking some cost for new material and slab but if you intend on living here for quite awhile, this is the best investment and when you sell, it's additional equity that helps in the sale.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-13-04, 10:06 AM
Misc
Visiting Guest
Much aprciated,I'm currently living in Moncton ,NB, and we're still not shure on how long we will be keeping the house, at this point we're just just going thru ideas intill we renu the morgage in two years, then if we decide to keep it, we'll have a better idea as to what hase to be done, once again thank you

Old 05-13-04, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misc,

You're very welcome! If you need anything, the Forum has about everything you need, just ask!

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: