Garage door will not close completely

Old 06-15-04, 04:18 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Garage door will not close completely

The torsion springs have been replaced and my garage door opener has been replaced and everything was working well. Then the door did not close all of the way so we adjusted the travel distance and the closing force thinking that would take care of things. But it didn't. The door started opening back up and would not stayed closed at all. We decided to give up for the night and operate the door manually. That is when we discovered that the door itself that is the problem. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the tracks and we sprayed them with silicone any way. You just can't even force the door down all of the way. Any suggestions?

Last edited by dkmb59; 06-23-04 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Haven't gotten a response so I wanted to check my question.
Old 06-29-04, 05:41 PM
dkmb59,

This may help,

Usually the light beam sensors show a steady light when they are correctly aligned; pass your foot in front of one of them and see if the light flashes. If so, they are almost certainly ok. Then check door balance with the GDO disconnected from it, and check GDO operation with it disconnected

Disconnect the GDO from the door and check that the door is balanced. If so, reconnect it and set the down limit adjustment. Then set the down force adjustment. You want it to reverse if there is something in the way, but it may be set too sensitive. Getting these settings just right on an old chain drive GDO can be difficult.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-30-04, 08:30 PM
dkmb59:

It sounds like the tracks may need adjusting. Your door comes down at a slight angle to the door jamb. If the tracks are adjusted to close to the jamb at the bottom the door it will not go down. There should be adjustment slot on the track mounting bolts.

Roger

Old 07-01-04, 02:43 PM
D
Baffled

I tried loosening the tracks to see if that was the problem but the door is still doing this. I have completely disengaged the door from the opener and I can stand on the door handle and it will not budge. We recently had the springs replaced. Could the be too tight or binding or something and how would I know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: