Garage Opener Options?

Old 06-19-04, 03:59 PM
DjembeDog
Visiting Guest
Garage Opener Options?

Greetings! Itís my first time here and I canít seem to find any threads that address my particular problem.

Iím a homeowner with a 16 ft wide sectional door using an overhead screwdriven residential opener. Pretty basic. My quest is to continue to be able to open the door automatically without obstructing the overhead any more than the door/tracking does (i.e., no overhead opener).

Specific questions:

1) Would a jackshaft (like the one in the link) work for this purpose? The garage ceiling is only 8ft high.
http://www.prodoorindy.com/co_liftmaster_j.php

2) Has anyone heard/seen of this ďSidemountĒ door opener and would it work?
http://www.sidemountopener.com/

3) Does anyone have any ideas or insights?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DjembeDog; 06-19-04 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-20-04, 04:13 AM
B
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I've only used jackshaft operators in my commercial designs. Generally, the problem with jackshaft operators in a limitted overhead situation is that they tend to turn the shaft faster than the door can go down and the cable wants to unwrap. A jackshaft design depends on a fair amount of the door, in the full open position, to be in a vertical position so that there is some weight to get the door going down. There are some things that can be done to help overcome this: change the gearing on the operator so it turns slower and add a "pusher" spring at the end of the track to help get the door moving. You need to talk to a supplier about this.

The "Sidemount" door opener appears to be nothing more than a residential jackshaft operator. If this is a fairly new company, I would be concerned about service, availability of parts, etc., etc. Ive never liked being the first one on the block to buy a new product, but then I'm a conservative old f*rt!

Forgive me for asking, but are you sure a conventional trolley-type operator won't work? I had a garage once with about 8' ceiling and it was VERY tight, but it worked. May also be able to install a low overhead track to get some more headroom.

Bruce

Old 06-20-04, 02:21 PM
DjembeDog
Visiting Guest
"There are some things that can be done to help overcome this: change the gearing on the operator so it turns slower and add a "pusher" spring at the end of the track to help get the door moving."
That was my concern also. I've been looking at "pusher" springs and toying with a "bumper" of sorts to compensate for the lack of downward motion the jackshaft might provide. No solid conclusion yet though.

Originally Posted by Bruce H
"The "Sidemount" door opener appears to be nothing more than a residential jackshaft operator. If this is a fairly new company, I would be concerned about service, availability of parts, etc., etc. "
Yup. 1) I've never heard of them 2) No one I know has heard of them or their product 3) They haven't returned emails and phone messages for over two weeks. Doesn't look good for the Sidemount option.

Originally Posted by Bruce H
"Forgive me for asking, but are you sure a conventional trolley-type operator won't work?"
No forgiveness necessary. I really appreciate your thoughts.
To make a long explanation short, I'm remodeling the garage (or at least a portion of it) into a soundproofed practice studio. I'm a musician with a dream... *sigh* ...and the desire to keep the garage door not only functional, but automatic too. To say, I can work around the track and even the door, but not a conventional opener.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks again, Bruce!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: