Steel/Metal garage floor

Old 06-25-04, 06:44 AM
ML68Nova
Visiting Guest
Steel/Metal garage floor

Hi I would like an opinion on an alternitive to a concrete floor. But first let me give you some background as to why.

I built a polebarn garage 24x26 last year with the intention to install a concrete floor at a later date when the gravel had time to settle. The garage is intended for working on my cars and had planned on installing a lift.

My problem, last year we had alot of rain through out the year and this year seems to be the same. My yard has a natural spring and needless to say I have a high water table. And though I don`t have any visable water problems in my yard my neighbors do. I think if I lay concrete now or later it would crack and would be an expensive mistake.

The garage is being used for storage right now and has no water problems. It`s about 5" above grade and is filled with crush & run and also 1/2",3/4' Gravel. I need a floor that will safetly support the weight of cars on jackstands and since I wouldn`t be able to install a two post lift I would like to use a portable lift. The weight I would need supported in a concentrated area on the high side 5000lbs (Datsun 240z 2600lbs, 68 nova 3400lbs)

My idea is to level the gravel and build a welded sqaure tube support grid. Put flat concrete block in the squares of the flooring grid and weld 3' x 10 flat 11ga steel sheets over top to finish the floor.

This is of course is just an idea and if it doesn`t fit my need safely then it won`t be built.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 06-29-04, 06:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mark,

For what you suggest seems like allot of work and headache. I would say a good cement slab, reinforced properly would fit the bill. I have doubts about the steel and concrete block concept.

Since your garage already has a footing, a good slab - fiber reinforced with metal mesh, 5 to 6 inches thick would be your best option.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: