Garage door thinks it's hitting something

Old 08-09-04, 10:53 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage door thinks it's hitting something

Genie garage door, can get the model if relevent, with the sensors that make the door go back up if something's in the way. One of the sensors is green, the other is yellow, (not sure what color they were before the problem occurred). The door goes down to about 1 foot from the ground and returns to the completely open position. I've found a manual workaround, I can hold down the button until the door completely closes, and then release it. Is there a way to reset the sensors? Replace the sensors? Remove the sensors? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Old 08-10-04, 05:04 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sensors Out of Align

Sensors should be green on most doors.

When they are red or another color it indicates either a failure of the sensor or sensors out of alignment.

Either way, the symptom will be that the door 'thinks' it senses and obstruction and stops...

Old 08-11-04, 07:46 AM
B
aligning sensors

Can any one help with "how to align the sensors"? Do both sensors have to "see" each other with the beam? If so, how is one green and the other yellow?

Old 08-16-04, 12:08 PM
B
Swapped the sensors and it works now....go figure.

Old 08-21-04, 08:44 AM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by homebild
Sensors should be green on most doors.

When they are red or another color it indicates either a failure of the sensor or sensors out of alignment.

Either way, the symptom will be that the door 'thinks' it senses and obstruction and stops...

thats not true. genie has always had a red beam as part of their sensors. if the red light is blinking in any way theres a problem. the green lite will always be on.

Old 08-22-04, 07:34 AM
R
BigDog43,

What do you mean by "swapped the sensors"? Did you replace them with new sensors or just put the existing left sensor on the right side & vice versa?

I have a Stanley door with a Craftsman opener doing the same thing. This started after hitting it with our van while backing out of the garage with the door part way down. Although it worked OK for several days after that, I suspect the door may have become slightly misaligned when it got hit.

However, I also noticed that one of the counter-weight cables (at side of door) was loose while the other was quite tight. I readjusted its pulley to tighten the loose cable which seemed to help somewhat. Now it goes down OK & it only returns after coming down to the full closed position before it goes back up.

Checking the door weight (with opener dis-connected) when it's in that area I noticed that it's pretty heavy. It appears that the spring counter-weight may need some adjusting to reduce this load.

I'd appreciate any comments that you more experienced repair guys want to offer about my doors counter-weight, etc.

Old 09-21-04, 07:47 PM
D
I have this problem.

I tried to adjust the 'yellow' light, even covered it up and it made no difference.

I was wondering if an open wire would also cause the same symptoms?

Old 10-01-04, 09:59 AM
B
By swapping the sensors, I just meant move the left to the right and vice versa. The one that was yellow is still yellow, but it works, so until it doesn't I'm good to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: