Ceiling Joists; Can you splice?

Old 08-15-04, 08:38 PM
nanocube
Visiting Guest
Question Ceiling Joists; Can you splice?

My relatively new garage is 26x24. The ceiling joists run the depth of 24 ft. the contractor only put in joists 48 O.C.. I'd like to cut/splice and insert additional joists at 16 O.C., and I am unsure how to secure them.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-04, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
48" OC?????? ...you can splice them yes. I would buy 2 - 12 ft 2x(whatever you have) and an 8ft one for each joist. Lay the 2 12 footer out end to end and splice with the 8 footer, 4 feet on each board, glue, nail/screw. Make sure the ends are tight together or it will be easier for the seem to sag over time. THEN...call your builder and ask him why the he....ck he put joists on 48" centers....have you paid him yet?...was the price right for YOU having to fix his mistake?...I'm not being a smarta$$, just wondering

Old 08-16-04, 11:37 PM
If these "ceiling joists", run the same direction as the rafters, they are a"tie" and this tie and the two rafters compose what is known as a "carpenters truss" and there are 5,16D's on each end tying the three elements together and is a standard framing practice and essentially, holds the walls vertical.
Is it your intent to finish the ceiling or create a storage area?

Old 09-01-04, 03:14 PM
Is this all about installing a drywall ceiling? How much headroom do you have to spare? You may need to use timber screws to place 2x4s on edge (at 90 degrees to trusses) every 16", and then apply sheetrock to them.

Why not a suspended ceiling? You can get 'fireproof' grid and drop sheetrock into that. Tell the vendor of the grid your support points are 48 on center, and you want to fill the grid with sheetrock.