moving garage door from one side to another

Old 08-19-04, 02:46 PM
bigauditone
Visiting Guest
moving garage door from one side to another

Our house is a standard L shaped ranch. Our garage is the small leg of the L. But, instead of driving straight in and out of the right side of the small leg, you must drive straight in towards the house, then make a sharp left and turn into the garage (the door is on the inside of the small leg). this makes backing out very difficult. I have hit the garage 3 times in 2 yrs. My husband is mad! We were wondering how big of a project would it be to move the garage door from its current location to the other side, where I will be able to drive just straight in and out? We will like to get some idea before talking to contractors. Thank you!

Old 08-19-04, 07:35 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the garage is a square, and you have no appliances in the garage, it should be ok.

Old 08-22-04, 07:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Keep in mind that a garage door is a really big hole in the side of your house. The most important thing is to find out which wall is load bearing. You cannot cut a new garage door into the other wall without knowing what is holding the roof up. If the existing garage door is on the load bearing wall than the project is pretty easy. If the new garge door wall is load bearing than it is a bigger job requiring a header over the garage door (and you have to know how to support the roof while you cut out the wall and install the header).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: