Whats the best way to build a ceiling hung shelf?

Old 08-24-04, 07:57 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the best way to build a ceiling hung shelf?

Hi all!

We have a fence in the back yard around the pool that I intend to take down to give the backa more spacious feeling. The only problem is, I have no where to store this thing just in case I need to put it back up in the event that the wife decides to pop out a baby in the future.

My only possible option in the garage is to install a 13'W X 6'D ceiling hung shelf. No taller space-wise than 12"-16". I was wondering if anyone has some good suggestions as to how I could go about this? I was thinking maybe some joist brackets on the walls with 2x6 or 2x8 joists running across. Also utilizing threaded rods supported from the ceiling for center support. Then finishing off with 1/2" plywood flooring.

What do the experts think?

Thanks!

T.

Old 08-24-04, 08:18 PM
S
The codes for pool safety, are not discretionary, they apply to every one. I would suggest that you review your local municipal ordinances, What your contemplating is Illegal.

Old 08-25-04, 09:00 AM
T
Thanks for your concern and comment.

It is only required here (Phoenix) if you have a child. After spending 4 months looking at 50+ houses, all with pools, only ~30% of them had fences. My realtor and home inspector informed me of the requirement only when there are children residing. Not sure what the age limit is, but it really doesnt matter in my case...

Any ideas as to the design of the shelf?

Thanks

T.

Old 08-25-04, 05:17 PM
I hope you have a good insurance policy if anyone elses kid ever decides your pool looks inviting. Was a big article in the paper a few weeks ago about pool safety and how some insurance companies are dropping people with pools.

Old 08-25-04, 05:28 PM
S
A full transcript of Appendix Chapter 4/SPECIAL USE AND OCCUPANCY/Division 1-Barriers For Swimming Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs, is available @ 602-262-7811. They will fax you a copy, its SECTION 419 and it outlines specific requirements for perimeter property barriers, egress, latching and locking requirement, as well as swing.
The protection of your assets, is your responsibility. Unless your "adviser" has agreed to indemnify you, your family members and your property, you might want to obtain a copy and make sure that you are in compliance.
The third paragraph also addresses removal, alter and repair, which you are contemplating.
You might also visit the Building and Planning dept. to find out when the pool was installed and while your there, you could ask, the fence is there for a reason.

A shelf would depend upon the weight of the fence, length and material.

Do you have any space behind the garage?

Old 08-25-04, 11:27 PM
T
Thumbs up

Just a slight correction...

Its actually found under Arizona Statue 36-01681. Pool enclosures: requirments; exceptions; enforcement.

36-1681 Does not apply to a residence in which all residents are at least six years of age. Found under: 36-1681.D.7.

Chandler's specific laws came into effect in '93 and there is no Grandfather Clause in force. And they only specify fence requirements regarding build. So, even if they did say something, I could tell them where to put that fence (which would take care of my problem ).

Not that I'm against pool safety....as previously said, the reason I'm saving it is just in case I have kids so I can put it back up.

As said before, thanks for your concern and "help".

Now, getting to the subject.

My fence cant weight more than a couple hundred pounds total weight. I was intending on cutting it into several 10-12 ft. lengths to ease in removal. Would there be any code requirements as to the design?

Thanks!
T.

Old 08-26-04, 01:35 AM
S
Here is a simplified version of the "process", you seem not to understand.

States adopt and pass into law a series of statutes and ordinances, which CANNOT BE amended, or altered in such a manner to lessen their effect, intent or purpose, by any local jurisdiction or municipality.

Municipality's, at their discretion, can adopt the states regulations as their standard, as presented, or, and which is usually the case, create and adopt into law, more restrictive regulations which they have deemed necessary, to address the specific demographics of their jurisdiction.

Once again I would urge you to obtain a copy of the document I referenced, its a City of Phoenix adopted ordinance and takes president over the state ordinance.

An ordinance that you appear to be contemplating being in violation of.

I had asked;"A shelf would depend upon the weight of the fence, length and material."

What is the material?

What are you going to do with the posts?

Old 09-01-04, 04:06 PM
S
Talk to your insurance agent before you do this.

Old 09-03-04, 08:27 PM
Homebuilt44
Visiting Guest
Me thinks you should review the several hunderd cases of law suits where the home owner loses every time when someone accidentaly drowns in a back yard pool with no safety fence. Lawyers make a killing on these cases because you have no defence.

Pools are required by all states to have a barrier fence between it and public domain. IE: streets aleys and easements. If you have no barrier you are in violation of many laws already in place.

I would realy think this one over CAREFULLY!

Old 09-14-04, 08:38 AM
GarageHelper
Visiting Guest
Well I am not sure about laws and such , but if you want something to put your fence on when you are entertaining and there are people around to watch the pool and kids, try something that is pre-made and you can install yourself.
Go to www.garagehelper.com and see what you think. I know I am being a little "markety" ... but that is what I do.

Hope this helps.

Garage Helper

Old 10-01-04, 07:34 AM
Chris S27
Visiting Guest
Welp, much to your dismay, it seems that the removal of the fence is a pretty damn bad idea all around. Why not put up a fence that provides a more "open" and "spacious" feel, but still provides some security.

Old 10-05-04, 05:06 PM
Kahuna
Visiting Guest
re-post

Hey tony-
why don't you re-post in a couple of days and eliminate the "around the pool" from your post. Maybe you will get some replies on your actual shelf topic

Old 10-07-04, 07:26 AM
Chris S27
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Kahuna
Hey tony-
why don't you re-post in a couple of days and eliminate the "around the pool" from your post. Maybe you will get some replies on your actual shelf topic

Yeah but if he doesn't remove the fence, then he doesn't need the shelf. Can't change the fact that the fence is "around the pool"!

Old 10-08-04, 01:43 PM
R
I believe it was meant to leave the "around the pool" out and just post as if he need a general shelf solution to store a regular fence. Although many people have posted their concern's with the legality of his fence removal, there haven't been many responses helping him out.

Like another post said, can u give us more info? Is the fence wood, vinyl, metal? How big are the sections between poles, etc?

Old 10-08-04, 03:54 PM
S
Chances are that ANY suspended load will exceed the truss's capacity. Equal distribution of the load will also be difficult.

If the sections are 4 by 10 foot, that's 40 square feet times ( a typical) 10 pounds per square foot attic loading. I am not considering the distribution of the load; just the aggregate load of 400 pounds maximum.

If 400 pounds was adequate they could attempt to distribute the load by two 2x6 on edge sitting on top of the trusses. Attach threaded rod to the 2x6s and hope you aren't exceeding the actual capacity of shelving and trusses.

Old 10-08-04, 06:19 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tony,

I just stumbled into this thread because I haven't looked at this forum in eons.

I have no clue what Arizona codes are regarding fences around pools, but I will guarantee you that in CA you HAVE to have a 6' high, no-climb fence around your pool, and any gate HAS to be self-closing and self latching. Whether you have children or not makes no difference -- the neighbors might have. If you want to step out some morning and see a neighbor's kid face down in the pool, then have to go tell his or her Mom about it, that's your problem.

As for your original question, I'm going along with SteveBausch -- a hanging shelf will probably overload the trusses. Support it from the floor.

One thing about it -- explaining the garage roof laying on the garage floor to the wife will be a whole lot easier than facing the neighbor kids' Mom!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: