Sealing under a 16 foot garage door

Old 08-31-04, 06:38 PM
Rich Lionberger
Visiting Guest
Sealing under a 16 foot garage door

This is my first time at this and this is hard to expain. I have a 16 foot fibreglass garage door I am trying to seal under the door to keep water out when it rains or snows. I have replaced the seal under the door but it still leaks between the seal and the concrete. The door when it sets down is level after closing. The concrete is level but has aquired a crack and has settled down about one quarter inch on one end because of aging. The door also sets down on top of the concrete in sort of a groove. Evidently the concrete was poured seperately from the floor and the outside has risen up on the outside of the door. So facing it from the outside when the door is closed it is setting down in the concrete aproximately one quarter inch or better. Can some kind of a waterproof seal be laid down so I do not have a large hump to run over and it would not make it hard to sweep out? Any Ideas out there?

Old 08-31-04, 10:51 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You take your handy little hand grinder with a carbide blade and score a couple of rows of 1/4" deep lines side to side in the concrete.

Old 09-03-04, 07:46 AM
arvinp
Visiting Guest
gap under garage door

I had a similar problem but it was because the garage door opener was not going far enough because the bracket attached to the door was a little too high up & the limiting switch on the opener could not be moved any further. I re-attached the bracket a little higher so the door could close a little lower and solved the problem.

Old 09-06-04, 09:02 AM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
go to your local garage door company and get an adjustable seal/retainer for your door. you can adjust the seal to fit high and low spots in your floor.

Old 10-05-04, 03:39 PM
tonyross
Visiting Guest
If the floor where the door seals is lower than the outside driveway, then you are going to have a difficult time to make any seal work since water will tend to "pool" betweenthe door and the concrete lip.

Call someone who does concrete leveling and have that lip ground down. Then tackle the door seal. Also, check to make sure your door opener closes the door with enough pressure (read your owners manual for the opener)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: