Movable dividing wall

Old 10-20-04, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Movable dividing wall

I have a oversize 2 car garage, it fits my 2 cars nicely side by side but is about 10-15 feet longer than needed in front of the car.

What I want to do is divide this front area off from the rest of the garage and insulate it so I can heat it in the winter for a work shop.
This of course would be very easy with just a framed wall and a man door in it, however I would like to be able to move the wall out of the way (fold up possibly) when I am working on my cars so that I have the whole garage open (summer).
Has anyone done anything like this before?

Possibly as an added feature I was thinking it would be great if the wall not only folded up or to the side but also could move back and forth on a track (about 10 feet). This way I could have the wall set in its default position when I am parking normaly, but move it out of the way (up and move it down the garage so I can pull my car to the front of the garage (the heated section) and put the wall backin place behind it so I can work on my car in the cold.

I dont want to insulate the entire garage because it is so large and my garage door is not insulated, plus it would take a lot of power to heat the entire garage in the Winnipeg winters.

Any ideas, suggestion or exprience with something like this would be appreciated.

Old 10-20-04, 07:32 PM
S
The simplest is an 18' wide or wider overhead door.

Old 10-21-04, 04:56 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of something made out of wood or steel studs, it will only end up moving maybe 1 or 2 times a month tops.
If I am going to buy an entire garage door I might as well replace the main one and heat the whole garage. Thanks for the sugestion though.

Old 10-21-04, 09:37 PM
S
Well thats true, unless of course you wanted a simple method of creating a seperate space that could be "reasonably" conditioned. That wasn't the size of your whole garage which you had determined would be quite expensive to heat, given the volume.

What you had proposed and in that configuration, could be reasonably expected to cost equally as much or more, in just Eng. fees, as the widest garage door, than you have to build it.

Old 10-22-04, 03:44 PM
R
Movable Wall System

You may be thinking of a movable wall system. These are quite common in commercial applications, but I haven't seen any marketed for residential use. Try this thread:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...862#post650862

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: