questions about building a garage

Old 11-04-04, 09:54 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
questions about building a garage

Hi Guys,

We moved into an older home in August. It was built in 1900.
There is currently no garage, but we want to build one in the spring.

Here is the challenge.

I have 25 feet on the right side of my house where i would like to build this garage.

I need 1.0m (3.28') on the house side and 1.2m (3.93') on the property side. Which leaves me with 5.4m (17.79') to build a garage.

We have 3 cars. One will basically be stored in the garage and the other one is a Miata - very small. I really dont mind if the garage is small, I just want it to be a 2 car garage.

I am thinking of building something ~18 wide by 20' deep (Will I need a variance)?

What do you think would be the most narrow garage that i could build?

Would a one double door garage be more narrow than having 2 single doors?

I have looked at pretty much every garage website on the net. I still have not found one that small. I need it to be Eave entry and like I said 18x20 if that is possible. Either rafter or truss roof. Would anyone know of such a plan.

I am thinking of designing it myself. Does anyone have any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks for your help...

Jason

Last edited by blue89turbo; 11-04-04 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-04, 12:03 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i would recomend you talk to your building officials and zoning officials. They will be able to tell you what variances you will require. based solely on your math if you have 17.79m left to build a garage building an 18m garage would require a variance as it is larger than your buildable area. talk with your local code officials and after their input find an architect or designer familiar with the zoning and building codes for your area. you wont regret it