Garage door driving me nuts....

Old 11-12-04, 10:36 AM
tomwalshco
Visiting Guest
Garage door driving me nuts....

I installed a Craftsman 1/2 HP, chain type garage door opener for a double door about 5 years ago. It worked perfectly for about 1 1/2 years, then during the summer months it would refuse to open all the way on hotter days, 85 deg+. It would stop after about 12" and the cycle back down again.

I cleaned everything, called Sears, etc. the whole bit and no change. I discovered if I unplugged the unit after misfire it would reset and open and close again. But would repeat very shortly after.

Now, in the past couple of months, it is exhibiting the same behavior when the weather gets cold, below freezing.

This behavior shows up with both remote and wired button operation. It must be the circuit board, so I hate to waste the time and money installing a complete new unit.

Any ideas ???? Thanks.

Old 11-13-04, 05:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
I would first check to make sure that something is not binding the garage door. I wonder if your house/garge is settling or something is expanding/contracting with different temperatures and humidity.

Look along the door track for signs that the door is scraping or dragging. When your garage door is having troubles pull the manual relase and try opening and closing the door manually. Do you feel any binding or resistance?

Old 11-13-04, 05:23 PM
tomwalshco
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the input, but after door fails, I have to open/close manually to get in/out. So I have had to do this manually a hundred times and it is very smooth without any snags or hitches. I've also oiled and greased the hinges and track a number of times. Like I mentioned, it all seems to revolve around the ambient temperature. And unplugging resets it so it works fine for an hour or 2 after I get up on a ladder and yank the plug out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: