Minimum width for 2-car garage

Old 11-16-04, 10:29 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Minimum width for 2-car garage

Hi Guys,

I have 25 feet on the right side of my house where i would like to build a garage.

I need 1.0m (3.28') on the house side and 1.2m (3.93') on the property side. Which leaves me with 5.4m (17.79') to build a garage.

What do you think would be the most narrow garage that i could build?

I am thinking of a 16' wide door and making the garage 17' wide. I know it will be tight but we do have small cars. (Miata and a Protege)

Do you think 17' is reasonable?

My other option is to build a 1 1/2 wide tandem garage, which will not be as ideal but at least i can get 2 cars in. (I also have a Supra that will basically be stored in it.)

Does anyone have any other tips or suggestions on either garage option?

Thanks for your help...

Old 11-16-04, 10:50 AM
I don't know what code or building requirements are in Canada but the link below shows some options (sorry, none with your dimensions) that may give you some ideas. Click on or paste and copy link. Good luck.

http://www.carolinastructural.com/viewbuildings.php

Old 11-16-04, 11:42 AM
Wink

Like said check code there for sure. You dont say what you will build it with???? 2X4 walls will give you more room than block. With a 16' door you need 20' for outside.so you have some room to set the track for the door inside. Cant you build it on to the home there ????

ED

Old 11-19-04, 07:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 786 Votes on 723 Posts
I'm thinking of adding on another garage and am trying to decide how big to go. I won't even bother with an 8' door. 9' or 10' is a single car. I was thinking 14' for my toy car (BMW M Roadster) and golf car, and if I want to make it a two car (for normal or toy cars) I'm going for 16'.

I normally drive a 2000, 2500 Dodge truck with quad cab and an 8' bed and it takes lots of room so... a one car one truck garage needs an 18' door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: