Garage door opener releasing the door...HELP.

Old 11-26-04, 11:21 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage door opener releasing the door...HELP.

The garage door open is more than 15 years old. It does have the sensors at the ground though.

It's a chain operated model with a track down the middle. The spring for the garage door is mount hirzontally on the wall above the door---just providing as much detail as I can.

The emergency release on the garage doors has a red rope attached to it. When you pull on it, it pushes a lever up that pops the "mechanism" off the chain that drives it opened and closed.

When the motor opens the door completely, this 'mechanism" will hit a sensor that tells the motor to stop because the door is now open. The actual width of the mechanism makes the switch engage as it pulls back against the switch. In this case, it's pulling back so far that it's slightly twisting the "mechanism" that's holding the chain that pulls the door. As as result of twisting a bit before hitting the switch, the mechanism pops off the chain (as if you pulled the emergency release lever) and the door comes down about 7". It acts like when you pull the emergency release---it just shuts a bit and stops.

There are two screws on either side of the opener motor that say you can adjust the force of the door as it opens and closes. I tried playing with these and noticed not one bit of difference.

Does anyone know what the heck I am talking about? If pictures would help, I can snap some with my digital camera. Let me know.

Thanks!
Curt

Old 11-30-04, 11:33 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Curt,

I understand how they work, I do not understand your problem as you have described it.

Old 12-01-04, 03:40 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arkayassoc
Curt,

I understand how they work, I do not understand your problem as you have described it.
No worries. I ended up buying a new one. I took it apart and realized something had jammed in the motor/gear area. As a result, it would no longer reverse itself. Another $140 down the toilet. Could have been more though had I now known how to install myself.

Thanks,
Curt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: