Best way to heat existing concrete garage floor?

Old 11-30-04, 01:53 PM
FastCougar
Visiting Guest
Best way to heat existing concrete garage floor?

I am having a new house built by a national builder who is unwilling to let me install a garage floor heating system. So, when I move it, I was wondering what would be the best way to heat the floor so that I can work in the garage in the winter without freezing. I do a lot of car work and would appreciate laying down on a 70 degree slab of concrete vs. 35 degree. Since I do car work in the garage, the first thing on my list is to seal the floor with an epoxy sealer, so keep that in consideration. Thanks for the suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-04, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

national builder who is unwilling to let me install a garage floor heating system. So, when I move it, I was wondering what would be the best way to heat the floor so that I can work in the garage in the winter without freezing.
Id say that puts you up a creek here for a warm floor. I would try and get them to put insulation in and around the slab before its poured to break it from the outside. A good 6 mil poly under the slab. What do you have for heat in the home??? I have to fight here for the fascia board the be sqare with the world and door swing in. But I do get it You say not in the slab its your home tell them you want it Hot water , electric cable. hot air pipes in the floor. last a gas furnace up high with a head on it that you can throw the air just where you want it. Good luck

My .02 cents
ED

Old 11-30-04, 02:52 PM
FastCougar
Visiting Guest
Well, I have found this and hoping that I can talk my builder into installing this with me prepaying for the expense. I think that their major concern is that if I back out of the house, they will be stuck with a feature that cost them money that they might not be able to resell for a profit.

http://www.warmzone.com/TuffCable.asp

Old 11-30-04, 03:01 PM
Wink

That www looks good I have used http://www.warmlyyours.com

It works good.

Ok tell them you will pay up front for the heat in the floor

ED

Old 11-30-04, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
Sorry to burst the in-floor heat bubble but.............

FastCougar,

In-floor heat is becoming popular for garages in cold climates, but there is a downside.

If you are in a snowy climate you will have a problem with water on the floor from snow quickly melting off the bottom of your vehicle.

If you are in this climate and have floor heat, a good floor drainage system is a must. Plus, if you then have a drainage system in a garage, in most areas you are required to have an approved oil separator.

If floor heat is your only source of heat in a cold climate you will need another heat source to warm up the garage when the garage door is opened and closed. The recovery rate for floor heat is very slow.

If you install styrofoam insulation as recommended around the perimeter your floor will be naturally warmer without the in-floor heat.

My belief is that if you spend the cost of installing an in-floor heating system on the insulation alone, then use a suspended heater, your results will be similar.

Old 07-10-06, 12:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Infrared Heat

Personal website removed due to advertising violation.

Last edited by mattison; 07-10-06 at 12:41 PM.