Stanley UB400 chain came undone

Old 12-04-04, 05:06 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stanley UB400 chain came undone

My garage door worked this morning, but upon coming back home, it would only lift a few feet and stop and go back down. I then crawled under the few feet open and inspected the other side. Discovered the chain was sloping away down., so, undid the arm lock and opened door manually, which now allowed the full chain and cable to come separated from pulley. the chain is very oily and greasy ( messy), and am contemplating either I fix it myself, or hire door repair people. Is this job salvageable? The Stanley motor box cover says it is UB 400 but the chain and cable assembly I guess comes with the territory?? the whole unit is maybe 7 years old.

Last edited by ttodd; 12-04-04 at 05:06 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 12-04-04, 06:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found this on another site, maybe it will help you.

There are only a few ways that the chain can be tightened. There may be an adjustment linked to the chain, or an adjustment to the length of the door opener track. Both adjustment types should be done with the door closed and disconnected from the opener using the emergency release.

Adjustments on the chain are located at or near the master link where the chain engages with the cable. These usually consist of a bolt with two or three nuts, one or two for locking and one for adjusting. You loosen the locking nut(s), and turn the center nut clockwise to adjust the excess slack from the chain. Do not over tighten the chain. This will cause premature wear on the chain rollers. Adjust it tight enough so that the center of the chain sags about 1/2" down from parallel with the track.

The second adjustment is located on the top of the opener body. This is common on the Stanley chain drives that utilize the tubular-style track. There is a bolt that is turned clockwise to actually extend the length of the track, thus removing the slack from the chain. Same rule applies concerning recommended chain slack. One thing about this second adjustment is that if the body of the opener is mounted in a very rigid fashion and has no "give", the tubular track will bend when you try to make this adjustment. So, you might have to loosen the mounting bolts or make other adjustments to the mounting assembly to allow the adjustment.

C&P from naturalhandyman.com

btw, the chain is supposed to be oily and greasy (very messy)
Good luck and post back

Old 12-04-04, 10:29 PM
T
Thanks for the great notes.. Came in handy for adjusting clockwise..

The chain had just come off, and after installing and adjusting, also tightened down door hinges from binding problems.
'
Thanks !

Old 12-09-04, 02:51 PM
T
Well four days later it has come off again,, So this time I phone two garage door repair company's and both told me that the sprocket is probably worn, and Stanley has gone out of business, s other fore there is no parts to get..

So If I replace the entire motor with say a Sears brand, Would the chain and sprocket fit????

the Stanley brand motor was the UB 400 series..

juat took everything apart and the sprocket looks good and strong and no wear..
I think maybe there was too much slack in the chain and cable line..

Last edited by ttodd; 12-09-04 at 08:13 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: