Hoe to repair a wood 16x7 door; panels loose; bottom of door cracked

Old 12-06-04, 06:43 PM
JJKoz
Visiting Guest
How to repair a wood 16x7 door; panels loose; bottom of door cracked

Wife backed into our wood 16'x7' door. Damaged lower right corner, knocked 3 rollers out of rail. Bottom frame board cracked at joint - 3' foot piece that connects to the stee cable is now loose. Lower panel also loose.

I want to repair this door. I'm planning on removing the full bottom section by removing the 2 steel cables, removing the hinges that connect the lower panel to the rest of the garage door and then move the bottom panel to the floor, leaving the rest of the door hanging from the rails.

I plan to use metal splices to re-join the bottom board that separated at one of the finger joints. (I'll use metal splices - like those used in russes - to repair any other braken frame boards. I'll re-insert the panels as best as possible without messing with the trim any more than needed.

Is this feasible - especially removing the full 16' bottom section to repair is and then re-attaching it to the other sections?

I plan on removing this lower section with the door fully down, so that the bottom edge of this lower section is rsting its weight on the garage floor.

Sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JJKoz; 12-06-04 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-04, 01:21 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Feasible?

Feasible?

Define 'feasible'?

Actually this is a good excuse to get rid of the heavy garage door altogether and replace it with a lightweight insulated aluminum door professionally installed for less that $900 in most case.

The weight of the door alone will make repair difficult and realignment of the tracks and rollers and tension springs more than I'd be willing to tolerate.

Worth the $900 to avoid the aggravation and frustration of the repair in my experience....plus no more painting!

JMHO, but I'd buy a new door.