garages

Old 12-13-04, 06:56 PM
kattgirl
Visiting Guest
garages

my husband and i are wondering what the pros and cons are for a 28x42 garage or pole barn.we already have the concrete down.we live in ohio,and of course what the cost difference might be...thank you

Old 12-15-04, 07:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
I like an insulated garage. Even if you don't heat the garage, the insulation stabilizes the temperature so you do not get so much condensation on tools & lawn mowers in the spring and fall which reduces rusting. It's a bigger concern down here in NC with our long spring/fall seasons but an insulated garage can be warmed up by a heater if you need to work on a car in the winter.

I have trouble with my tools rusting in the hangar (basically an un-insulated pole barn) and a 100'000 btu kerosene heater does not do much to warm it. The pole barn does protect against rain and hail and is probably less expensive to build.

Old 12-15-04, 09:46 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing I would check would be the building code in your area since that is a fairly large slab, around hear they want frost footings on anything over 850sq. ft., based on garages I've seen over the years in the 1000 sq ft. + ranges footings are IMO manditory since a free floating slab will heave and cause problems in the future with walls wanting to sage, slab cracking and separting really bad. If it does have footings then your off to a good start.

Right now a pole building is not as econmical as in the past, these steel prices have really taken the alure of cheap buildings out of the equation. You can still build a "basic" no frils uninsulated pole building cheaper than a garage, but if you ever want to finish the interior with insulation and the like, it will cost a little more than a standard garage depending on what options you use to actually finish the interior off.

Another thing to consider is your location. If your in a residential area, even the best designed pole buildings still look out of place and dont flow with the surroundings. But if your more rural then astetics usually take a back seat for practicality.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: