Garage Door Stuck

Old 12-15-04, 07:44 PM
hroark
Visiting Guest
Garage Door Stuck

Just bought a home that is 2 1/2 years old. The garage is not very old and is a Craftsmen. The door gets stuck sometimes about 6 inches of the ground when I try and open it. I notice from the inside that the right side of the door seems to give and then it gets stuck and stops. Upon inspecting the door I find nothing to be out of the place. Although I am not sure what I am looking for. Any help with this problem if anyone has had this before would be greatly appreciated. As a new homeowner money is tight and I have no idea home much it would cost to have looked at. Thanks. -Christian, NY

Old 12-15-04, 09:38 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I guess first would be a visual inspection of all the rollers/track to see if anything is cracked, misaligned, or just does'nt seem right compared to the rest of the stuff on the door.

You can unhook the arm from the above track and have somebody manually lift the door slowly, up and down checking to see if the door is stayingh aligned in the track-I'd watch the rollers to see if the shaft is moving in/out of the bracket a great deal in one particular area. Could be as simple as realigning the track itself if it's casuing some kind of bind.

Also with it unhooked from the opener and when your lifting it/closing it (from the center of the door), try to note if one side of the door begins to lift off the ground before the other, same when going down if one side touches before the other. If so and the door is otherwise level once you have it off the ground maybe the slab heaved a little bit, but if the door is pulling up quicker on one side thant he other its trying to bind itself in the track. This can be remedied by adjusting tension on the springs that help lift the door.

Sometimes too, as goofy as it sounds, the weather plays into it. When it gets extremely cold the moving parts just wanna move as easily as in warmer temps-kinda like people. So if everything else checks out fine, you could then move to the power head unit and start turning up the opening force adjustiment screw to give it some more power.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: