Garage door condensation

Old 12-27-04, 04:52 AM
spyork
Visiting Guest
Question Garage door condensation

I recently moved into a new house back in November. Lately I've noticed some bad condensation problems on the inside of the garage door. When temperatures are below freezing outside this condensation freezes on the door. The garage is attached to the house and the walls are insulated, however, the door itself is not. Would having an insulated garage door solve this problem? If so, do insulation kits exist for garage doors or would I have to purchase a new door? I would appreciate any help anyone could provide. Thanks...

Old 12-28-04, 04:32 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulated Door

Condensation occurs on any surface (even insulation) if that surface temperature drops below the dew point for the mass of air in question.

Since interior air in winter is normally warmer and therefore more humid than exterior air...(warm air can carry more gaseous water than cold air)...This means that as the warmer air and warmer gaseous water migrates outward from the interior of your house to the exterior garage and its surfaces, any moisture therein will condense upon cold surfaces in your garage at any time..even summer.

Having an insulated garage door is no guarantee that condensation will no longer occur.

If the ambient temperature of the insulation is below the dew point for the air in the garage and its humidity, you will still have condensation forming on the insulation itself under certain conditions.

While having an insulated garage door generally speaking is better than not having an insulated garage door, simply installing an insulated garage door may not resolve the issues you had to door installed to correct in the first place.

You need to take into consideration each and every factor about your house and garage, temperature...humidity....climate....location....degree ehating days...and so forth before making a decision....

Old 01-08-05, 05:13 PM
brokeinpa4ever
Visiting Guest
I'm experiencing the same condition but I get the condensation on my 4 basement/garage windows as well. Would a dehumidifier help the situation?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: