Garage door opens/won't close

Old 12-30-04, 08:00 AM
dblhoo
Visiting Guest
Garage door opens/won't close

I've lived in my current home for about a year. The relatively-antiquated (late 70's) garage door opens fine with either the car remotes or the wall switch, but in the last month or so has developed a problem in closing -- it only goes down about 1 feet when I use either the wall switch or car remote to close it. I have to pull it down about 1-2 feet and then the motor will close it the remainder of the way.

We've been told by the local garage door company that the only fix for this is to replace the entire door. That sounds fishy to me, especially when teh cost of a new door and opener is about $1500. But I admit to knowing very little about door openers, and the prior owners of the home did not have any manuals on the opener.

When our power was out recently, I had to use the manual disconnect to get the door open. It opened very easily by hand - in fact, almost too easily, I had to be careful or it would get to the top and then bounce back and forth -- and closed fairly easily by hand, although not as easily as it opened.

Can anyone offer any thoughts? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-30-04, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like its in a bind.i just put a new 3/4hp srewdrive from sears on my 20' door and got it on sale for about $126.00.if you can raise it with your hand then its the door opener.does it have the safty on it near the floor.mine has came lose and does that a lot.little black box with lead light in it.check to make sure one is amber the other green.

Old 12-31-04, 09:20 AM
dblhoo
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I'll check that out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: