3-car garage to apt

Old 01-03-05, 10:53 PM
Ted Willett
Visiting Guest
3-car garage to apt

I am sorry to say this, but I'm a partial do-it-yourselfer.

As I said in a reply to someone's thread I think something of this size and importance needs some professional help along the way.

But as I get GC's in the numbers they work up push me to learn and do more of the work myself.

First - a general overview of the project.

The space is a detached 3-car garage - with a 2-car door and a 1-car door separated by a wall. These need to be framed and windows installed. (I have another detached 2-car garage on the property so the guesthouse should add value and income without jeopardizing the zoning issues).

The wall dividing the space already has one doorway that will connect the kitchenette to the main living area, but a door will be added to allow for access to the bathroom.

In the 1-car garage space there is a tub, toilet, and sink hookups so it needs a wall dividing the bathroom from the kitchenette.

Also the kitchenette needs a drain dig into the slab for the kit sink.

The floor in the living space will be wood (possible bamboo) and the kichenette and bathroom will be tile.

My line right now is that I'll do the insulation and drywall - but as I get these huge bids I look for easy places to cut costs and do-it-myself.

First digging the trench for the sink drain seems easy enough.

Second how hard is it to cut a bathroom door?

Third, framing non-load bearing walls sounds easy - but is it?

I'm scared of tile and I've seen some botched floors in my day.

Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-06-05, 11:43 AM
lohebohi
Visiting Guest
I recommend you get this book.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...44706?v=glance

I am a pretty good do it yourselfer but I use this book all the time. It pretty show you hoe everything works in your house and has instructions on how to do eveyrthing. I am sure there are other books but I cannot say if they are better or worse.

You should be capable of doing everything you need to do with the help of that book. A lot of practical understanding will take place while you do the work. You will pick things up. A good idea is to hire a handyman type of person who works by the hour and have them work along side you. This will allow you to let them take over at times when they might have more experience with certain jobs.

I know with myself I get imtimidated by jobs sometimes but if I see someone else do it I realize how simple it is.

Don't forget about a clothes washer and drier which require a vent for the drier and a waste water drain for the washing machine.

Old 01-09-05, 04:32 AM
Ted Willett
Visiting Guest
Thanks I have a handyman and I'll be sure to check the book out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: