Converting carport to workshop garage

Old 01-09-05, 08:21 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Converting carport to workshop garage

We have a well-built 3-vehicle carport with attached enclosed framed shed. The whole thing has a gabled roof with attic and is on a concrete slab. Each bay and the shed are about 10 x 20, so the structure is about 20 x40. The open portion (carport) is supported currently by 6x6 timbers every 10 feet. I would like to convert it to an enclosed workshop/storage building with one or two 2-door doors so I can do oil changes etc. indoors occasionally but do not need to drive a car in daily so I don't need rising doors. Area (South Florida) is prone to minor flooding and the building is not on a pad like the house, so I would like to raise the floor in at least 2 of the bays by around 10" and it will need air conditioning, probably window type, so needs insulation. It has power.

I have no building construction experience - my goal is to learn the basics of framing and window/door installation while enclosing this building before attempting more cosmetically demanding remodeling projects in the house. I am looking for recommendations for plans or books/web pages that will get me started on the principles and basics of framing, rough floor construction, windows, door hanging, insulation etc.

Old 01-09-05, 08:28 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Part of this project will be constructing the double doors, which need to be solid because of hurricanes, so I'm also looking for plans/sources for these.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: