Garage Transformed Into Room???

Old 01-12-05, 04:53 PM
AUTOSTEEL88
Visiting Guest
Question Garage Transformed Into Room???

My Wife And I Are Considering Converting Our 2 1/2 Car Garage Into A Family Room. The Way Our House In Designed The Garage In Attached And 2 Bedrooms Are Located Above It. So Structure Wise, We Want To Remove The Garage Door, Break Up Some Of The Driveway And Then Add A 1 To 2 Car Attached Garage Next To The Existing One, Later On. I Have Contacted My City Permits, I Still Have To Measure, But I Know I Can Get At Least A 1 1/2 Car Garage In The Allowed Space.

My Problem Is, Where To Start??? The Garage Already Has Electric Running To It And The Entire House Is Electric Heat. The Garage Floor Has A Drop From The Door Into The House.

What Do I Do About The Floor?? Do I Need To Rise It And Make It Level - Do I Use Lumber Or Concrete????

What Can I Use For The Ceiling???

I Consider Myself Kind-of Handy. I've Built Walls From The Studs To The Drywall Etc.

But This Is Much More

Any Guidance Would Be Greatful!!!!

I Really Don't Want To Pay Someone For Something I Can Do Myself!!!

Thanks Everyone - Great Website

John

Old 01-14-05, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi
Ok we need more info to help you out here.
1. Are you in a housing project?
2. Do you have homeowner association?
2. Does the township give permission to do that?
4. What is the exterior finish on your house now and will it be continued to the garage front?
As you can see many factor are involve
what are your skill in renovation, do you have tools and so on.
sometime it might be cheapper to get a framer out and do it.

pgtek

Old 01-16-05, 01:20 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage conversion

[QUOTE] Where To Start??? [QUOTE]

You took the first step, now follow it with a dimensioned plot plan including your proposed garage location.
If your plan for satisfying the required off-street is approved, you can, at the same visit, apply for the conversion permits.

[QUOTE] The Garage Already Has Electric Running To It And The Entire House Is Electric Heat. [QUOTE]

Assuming that the garage is not heated, you will need a 220V for heat, whether it is for ceiling, baseboard or floor. Depending upon when the house was built, you may be able to continue the existing circuit for the new den. You will also need a 3way switch leg. As well as a separate circuit for the new garage.

[QUOTE] The Garage Floor Has A Drop From The Door Into the house.[QUOTE]

Raising the floor with wood framing will allow you to insulate beneath the sub floor, however, if there was not a vapor barrier installed when the slab was poured, you will need to properly seal the existing slab.

[QUOTE] What Can I Use For The Ceiling??? [QUOTE]

What is the present condition of the ceiling?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: