Replacing a garage door with a patio door?

Old 02-22-05, 04:52 AM
ljoh832266
Visiting Guest
Smile Replacing a garage door with a patio door?

Good Morning Forum!

We have decided that since we have a huge 2-car garage and we only have 1 car and becuase we need a "fire exit" door for my home daycare business, we wish to replace the garage door with a patio door. The garage door is a bit larger than the patio door framing. Could someone give us the steps needed to complete installation of the patio door in the garage door space?

Thanks so much. This forum is great!!!!!!

Last edited by ljoh832266; 02-22-05 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-22-05, 05:16 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
I you have legal businees as a day care and your using you garage for it
The code requires to have 5/8 firecode drywall.
also the door must be min. 36 inches wide and the door swing outside not inside like the ones on a standard house.
first aid kit, fire dectector and so on. check your local building code for more detail.
As for installing the door, you would need pressure threated lumber for the plate and 2x4 or 2x6 depending on thicknees of the walls. 3/8 or 7/16 osb board on the outside
insulation inside between the studs, vapour barried over it then drywall.
You would have to make the open of the door about 1 in wider and 1 in higher than the frame and shim it in place, then insulate the space between the door and the frame.install trim around the door and then finish outside

hope this helps

pg

Old 02-22-05, 11:13 AM
ljoh832266
Visiting Guest
Question Replacing a garage door with a patio door

Thank you. I do have a licensed (legal) daycare business. I have been running the business since 1997. We just recently moved to a new home in a new county. The daycare business is not being run out of the garage. I have the daycare set up in the basement. The only problem was that my 2nd fire exit is through a door that enters the garage. I'm being told that once in the garage there must be another door to exit completely out of the house. Presently, there are 2-large garge doors (over head) I wish to put a patio door in the place of one of the garage doors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: