A hole in your garage floor?

Old 02-24-05, 11:42 AM
RLLD
Visiting Guest
Question A hole in your garage floor?

Since I can't have my basement extend under my garage (house to be built) I am thinking that it would be sorta cool to have one of the bays have a "work-hole" in it.

Something one could stand in to be under the vehicle so as to work on it (change oil, repair muffler etc).

Has anyone heard of this being done? If so, what are the considerations?

Old 02-24-05, 03:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yep, it might be kind of cool to have. Except your local building codes may not allow it and your insurance company may not either. BTW, I do know people that have them, but they live in areas without building codes.

I'd check with those two entities first.

frank

Old 02-25-05, 04:00 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I designed a couple commercial bus maintenance garages a few years back that had the pits in them. There were a BUNCH of requirements such as mechanical ventilation, explosion-proof lights, inflammable waste traps, etc., etc. My guess is that it would be cheaper to add a little more height to the garage and install one of those little above-ground hoists that just bolt down to the floor.

Like Frank said, check with codes people; also insurance people, but I "assume" (never assume!) insurance would be OK with it if it met code.

Bruce

Old 02-26-05, 12:44 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you aren't careful, it can fill up with water. Also consider a combination of shallow pit and removable-but-very-secure ramps (This is what I'm planning).

The pit could be just deep enough to give you lots of elbow room on a creeper, OR comfortable sitting, OR standing, but intermediate heights will put your back out.

Old 03-01-05, 10:11 AM
RLLD
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks!!

You guys bring up some excellent points!.

I think I will also explore an "extra tall" garage and just how much one of those lifts might cost as well..... code and insurance companies permitting

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: