Garage Insulation

Old 02-25-05, 11:30 AM
ADKExplorer
Visiting Guest
Garage Insulation

Ok...this is the situation. I have a 2 car 24x24 foot garage that is attached with no insulation. It has 2x6 construction with 10' ceilings. What would you suggest for an r-value of rolled insulation kraft backed. I do not plan on heating the garage but just want to help the ambient temperature which I am hoping in turn will help the house temps plus help in the dampness of the garage during the winter. I was just thinking r-11 but not sure that is enough and I thoght that R-19 would be to much for my purposes. Any thoughts would ebmuch appreciated!!
Thanks!

Old 02-28-05, 07:42 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,522 Posts
I have an attached garage about the same size as yours with R-15 insulation in the walls and R-20 in the ceiling and an insulated 18' x 8' door. It still gets cold, but the temperature is greatly moderated.

I also have a hangar that is basically a steel shell building with no insulation. The big thing I notice is that moisture condenses and rusts everything. Without insulation everything inside (aircraft, cars, tools...) gets very cold at night then the warm moist air of the day condenses on all the cold metal.

I have noticed one bad thing about having a well insulated garage. Here in NC, during the summer pulling two hot cars into the garage and closing the door creates an oven. During the summer months I open the attic scuttty in the garage to let the heat rise into the attic which helps somewhat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: