Raising The Roof

Old 03-18-05, 04:21 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Raising The Roof

My wife and I just purchased our first home. We have an unattached 2 car garage that is in good shape. Upon inspecting the garage, I noticed that the door opening is about 6" to short for any of my trucks. My wife does not mind, because it means that her car can inhabit the garage all by its lonesome. I however, do not find this situation as amusing. My question is: Can I raise the roof of the garage by cutting all around the walls and jacking up each corner and inserting new stud extensions to get an additional 6"? I have not yet checked building code and do not know if this is acceptable, that will be my next step. I know I will need a new door and was planning on getting one before I learned of this problem. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-18-05, 04:53 PM
dirty-d
Visiting Guest
Anythings possible I'd guess, but check local code first.

Old 03-18-05, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 51 Posts
SDJHAWK,

How this is generally done in my neck of the woods is to cut the fasteners holding on the bottom plate and then jacking up the whole structure.
You would then build a pony wall to rest the structure on.
To do this you would need to make an opening in the walls to be able to pass two beams through the structure to lift it.

It would likely be the most economical to hire a building mover to raise it for you since he would probably have beams like this lying around.

Also, considering the time and trouble this would take it would not cost much more to raise it two feet as it would six inches.

Old 03-19-05, 01:23 PM
C
By way of example, I looked into raising the roof of my garage as an alternative to demolishing the roof and extending the walls then installing a new roof. I found that it would cost as much as building a new building from scratch. So check prices, first. In the case of my garage, the structure was going to need reinforcement in order to do this.

The structural engineer who did the design work for the project was aghast over the price quoted.

Prices can vary greatly.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-19-05, 02:42 PM
S
Thank you for your help. I have just been informed by my father that we have a number of house jacks. We have a moving company and somewhere along the line have had to literally move a whole house. I will be getting together with some professional house movers and try to cut the building loose at the sill plate and build a pony wall. I will let you all know how it works out. I will be attempting this project in a few months, when it warms up here in SD!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: