Garage Door Opener Problems

Old 03-28-05, 12:25 PM
nalts
Visiting Guest
Garage Door Opener Problems

Hey All-

I've been lurking here and have gotten a lot of good advice. Hopefully someone can provide me help on my problem.

I have a Sears Craftsman Garage Door opener that I installed new in 2001/2002. It's been giving me fits. The door no longer will shut properly. It begins the down cycle, stops and flashes the lights. I can hold down the wall push button to shut the door, if need be.

Here's the rest of the details:

1). The opener was working properly for over two years
2). I did have problems with operation during the winter, though
3). I opened up the insides. The gears seem to be fine and meshing properly
4). All sensors are aligned properly
5). The trolly goes up and down no problem if the door is detatched
6). The doesn't seem to be any binding in the door or wheels
7). The wheels are nylon and not steel, so I can't grease them up (I have used silicon spray though)
8). The up and down force have been adjusted for several different settings with no effect of the operation
9). The "travel" settings (how high or low the door goes) seem to be set properly

Edited to add: I read on onother post someone mentioned about the number of times the light flashes after it reverses iteself. I counted 10 flashes after I pressed the button.

I think that's all for now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your time.

Sincerely,
Chris

Last edited by nalts; 03-28-05 at 05:33 PM. Reason: List not working properly
Old 03-28-05, 06:23 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You didnt mention if you checked the infra-red safty beams. Make sure that both units are brightly lit. If not loosen the set screw and align then tighten again.

Old 03-29-05, 12:08 AM
Door Problem

You might try this. Open your door, then stand back and look at each door track and see if the rollers (little wheels on an axle) are all out the same distance from the door. Do this for each side. It may be your track is a little out of alignment. All wheels should stick out the same distance from the door when the door is open. Good Luck

Old 03-29-05, 10:30 PM
nalts
Visiting Guest
Got it working!

Thanks for your help everyone, I finally got the GDOer working. Not sure what the final fix was. I double-checked the track. Seemed to be fine. I double-checked the rollers, seemed to be fine. I double-checked the IR sensors. They seemed to be fine too.

I just tinkered around with everything and hit on the winning combination. I suspect that even though the sensors were lit, there was a problem with them. Still doesn't explain why it worked when the door was disconnected. Oh well. The wife will be happy to park the truck in the garage again.

Thanks again,
Chris

Old 04-11-05, 05:05 PM
D
Identical problem

Hello. I recently (like today) started to experience the same problem. Could you give me an idea what you tinkered with. The garage door opener was installed by the previous owner and I don't have any of the documentation on how this thing is supposed to be installed.

Thanks,

Diane

Old 04-12-05, 12:56 AM
nalts
Visiting Guest
Diane-

I think my problem was mostly related to the sensors, although I can't confirm it. My opener worked when the door was disconnected.

Just to be sure, I cleaned the sensor lenses, re-aligned the sensors, checked the tracks. It just started working.

Unfortunately, that's about all I can say...sorry. I know how you feel...

I will post again if anything comes up. Good luck
Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: