fire code?

Old 04-20-05, 09:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fire code?

I have an attached 2 car garage. No living space above garage- just some light storage via pulldown stairs. Recently had new garage doors installed and they used torsion bar instead of the old springs. However, due to a clearance problem, (the tract for the doors sits very close to ceiling,) in order to install the torsion bar they had to cut thru the ceiling sheetrock to allow clearance for the pully on the end of the bar for each door. My question is- does this now have to be boxed in somehow to meet fire code.
The wall common to house and garage is fire code, both in garage and in the "attic" space above garage. Track can't be lowered due to it having to clear the entry door into the house.

Old 04-20-05, 10:23 AM
Wink

Your best bet here is call code there and ask them if its OK. They can say a hole in the ceiling could let a fire get up out of the garage. If its not to code then your insurance company can say no way if you have a fire.
It pays to ask.

ED

Old 04-20-05, 02:00 PM
L
The door company should have used an extension spring setup. Make them come back and change the springs and patch the ceiling.

Old 04-22-05, 02:37 AM
S
The common wall between the house and garage is the fire seperation.
The ceiling of the garage will only be considered a fire seperation if there is living space above it.

Old 04-22-05, 02:58 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
I agree with LI Tom
Get them to come back and fix it.
I have storage over my garage and there only about 3 in clearance from the garage door.
they replace the top part of the track so it does clear the storage floor.
As for patching let them fix it and make sure it's well seal to prevent fumes from filtering in the house
that is a code.

good luck

pg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: