leaking garage

Old 05-20-05, 02:37 PM
maryj
Visiting Guest
leaking garage

I have a garage that will be two years old. It leaks under the two side walls, and back wall, in the winter, when it rains and turns to ice, or even if we have a heavy rain. I also get water in under the service door. The guy who built it conveniently moved to another state. I don't know what to do to stop the water from coming in. It seems to be coming in under the wall between the wall and the cement. Any ideas as to what i can do to stop this. I thought of using some caulking and going around the garage, but am not sure if that would work, or what kind. Do i do inside the garage and out? I would like to be able to put things in the garage, but have to put things on palets. Can anyone give me some ideas? I would appreciate it. thanks , maryj

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-05, 11:02 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Correct the drainage.

Old 05-22-05, 03:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forum maryj
I agree the grading needs to be looked into, also does the garage have gutters? Keeping the water away from the wall is the best fix and then you would probably not need any caulking.

Old 05-23-05, 10:49 AM
maryj
Visiting Guest
leaking garage

Hi, and thank you both for the advice. The garage does have gutters. I have thought about making a trench around the sides for the excess water, but also wondered about putting dirt all around it, build up around the sides. This is new to me, so i am trying to figure out an easy solution. But i don't think there is going to be one. Thats why I wondered about caulking around it. Inside and out. If i make a trench, is it just digging all around,right up next to the garage? Do i had stones to it, or just leave it? Behind the garage is all rocks.

Old 05-23-05, 11:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Are the gutters drained away from the garage? I would only build up the soil if this will promote the water running away from the bldg. I would not raise the soil any closer than 6" below the siding. You always want water to run away from the bldg. There are different fixes for different grades, bldgs etc. If a trench appears to be the best way to go then it ought to work. You don't have to fill it with rock but it may help prevent erosion. Water always takes the path of least resistance and of course we don't want that to be the inside of your garage. Caulking may work but it is also apt to fail leaving you with a false sense of security.