Garage Door Opener blowing Lighbulbs

Old 09-28-05, 08:05 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We had two new door openers installed in July and the installation company has gone out of business.
My problem is that each opener has gone through two bulbs each since installation and the second bulb was one made for garage door openers (supposed to be heavy duty). Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-05, 06:23 PM

Me too!!! About 1 week per bulb. Use 60 watt garage door bulbs or rough service - no difference!!!

Voltage seems OK, opener sounds OK with no jerks.

If no ideas, what about flouresecent?? - no filiments

Dick

Old 09-30-05, 06:42 PM
Garage Door Bulbs

Hi Guys: I am not sure this will help, but this is usually the cause of light bulbs burning out in garage doors. They don't really burn out like you are thinking of. They quit glowing because the element breaks. The element usually breaks because of jiggling of the opener motor. I would check the hangers, and make sure everything is good and tight. Then run your opener and watch the motor to see if there is any movement in it. If there is, tighten up whatever is loose. Good Luck This MIGHT help.

Old 09-30-05, 08:06 PM
L
Install flouresecent bulbs like Concretemasonry had said. They will last forever.

Old 09-30-05, 08:17 PM
Garage Door Lights

I have three garage doors. Each has a regular 70 watt bulb. Each has been installed since 2000, and they have never been replaced, and they light up every time. I got them 4 for $1.00. Don't give me that flourescent stuff.
Unless you get the expensive cold weather bulbs about $9.95 each, they will not work in the winter or cold weather. Fllourescent bulbs are best used in kitchens by ladies baking pies, and in schools for kids to learn, and stores for you to spend your money in. Good night Guys.

Old 10-03-05, 08:16 AM
B
Thanks for the feedback.
I have checked my motor mounting and it is stable throughout the range of motion, so I don't think vibration is the culprit. Two of the bulbs blowen were the heavy duty GE bulbs for garage door openers.
My garage is under my house and is semi heated; is this a better candidate or the florescents?
What about mounting a motion detector inside the garage?

Old 10-03-05, 08:38 AM
Yes, go ahead and try a florescent bulb in there and see what happens. Light bulbs do just just burn out in a short time. Good Luck

Old 10-12-05, 06:36 PM
I tried the screw in florescent, still didnt last....here is what I did...and it has lasted 3 years now.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 4ft plug in florescent shop light $5.98
Then I bought one of those screw in recepticals. $2.96

I removed the bulb and screwed in the receptical, then I hung the light behind the opener using the supplied chain and hooks, and then pluged it into the receptical that I screwed into the light socket on the opener.

Works like a champ and only pulls 20Watts...sweet

Old 10-13-05, 06:44 AM
B
I have two seperate doors. Is there a way to set it up where the light will come on from either door or would I have to go with two?