Garage door rollers

Old 10-01-05, 09:15 AM
BarryB
Visiting Guest
Garage door rollers

I have a double garage door with tension springs above the door. Any help with changing the rollers will be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-01-05, 12:15 PM
dirty-d
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by BarryB
I have a double garage door with tension springs above the door. Any help with changing the rollers will be greatly appreciated!

Changing all the rollers with exception to the bottom rollers is simple. replace them one at a time by removing the screws holding the hinges, slide old roller out, place new roller in hinge, and screw the hinge back in. do this one hinge at a time or the door could fall.
the bottom fixtures are under tension, a lot of tension and are more difficult to replace. To do this safely you would have to remove tension on the cables which mount to the bottom fixtures which lift the door.
What I like to do when replacing bottom fixtures or bottom rollers is:

1. Closing the door on a 4x4 piece of wood
2. Then I back wind the springs. This removes tension on the cables.
3. Then I remove the bottom fixtures. Having that 4" or so gap under the door allows the bottom bracket to fall down which makes it easier to remove these brackets.
4. Slide the rollers out and replace them, install brackets again
5. re-apply tension to springs making sure the cables are in their proper run on the cable drum.

PS: If I lost you at "back wind spring" Then don't bother attempting this

Old 10-01-05, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any adjustment on the spring above the door is dangerous. As stated, do not mess with this tension spring if you are not TOTALLY familiar with it.

Old 10-01-05, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Rollers

BArry:

I answered you private question to me. Do Not Repeat Do Not mess with the tension springs. These are very dangerous. You were given instructions on how to loosen the springs and replace the rollers. These instructions are not anywhere complete and are very dangerous. I went out and just checked my three garage doors, and there is no more tension on the bottom rollers, then on any other one. Good Luck

Old 10-01-05, 10:27 PM
dirty-d
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Jack the Contractor
I went out and just checked my three garage doors, and there is no more tension on the bottom rollers, then on any other one. Good Luck

Sorry jack but the bottom fixtures which hold the rollers are under full tension, you cannot remove these rollers unless you remove these fixtures. And you shouldnt removed the fixtures unless you remove tension.

Try unscrewing a bottom fixture with the springs under tension and see what happens <--- DO NOT DO THIS! I'm just stating that it's a bad thing to do.
If your comment had no relation to my post then disregard this post and please accept my appologize in advance.

Old 10-01-05, 11:28 PM
I will accept your apology. I did as you suggested. I went out and re checked my rollers on the bottom. They are not under tension. The plate with the cable attachment is under tension, but not the wheel. It just slides in and out. Have a very good day.

Old 10-02-05, 12:33 AM
dirty-d
Visiting Guest
I said the bottom fixtures are under tension not the rollers and how does one remove the bottom roller without removing the bottom fixture (plate)?

Old 10-02-05, 01:05 AM
You just pull it out.

Old 10-02-05, 06:16 AM
dirty-d
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Jack the Contractor
You just pull it out.
No Jack you can't just pull them out. The bottom plates have to be removed and before doing that tension must be removed ..... Thank you

Old 10-02-05, 11:30 AM
dirty-d:
You are very wrong, wrong, wrong. On my garage doors of which I have 3 of them, you simply pull out the bottom wheels. End of story, turn the page, you are wrong about my doors, I am correct. So don't be telling me, who by the way have installed over 4000 garage doors over 35 years that I am wrong.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: