Problem with garage door opener

Old 10-17-05, 07:34 AM
BluenoteForever
Visiting Guest
Problem with garage door opener

I could use some advice about a garage door opener problem. The 10 year old SEARS Craftsman automatic garage door opens half-way and stops. I then push the button again and the door goes down all the way and then starts back up again, stopping half way. I have checked the track and there is nothing to impede movement on the track, nor is there anything blocking the sensors on the floor, nor is there anything foreign on the chain.

I've lubricated the track, cleaned it, unplugged it to reboot it, yet the problem still persists. The only thing I can think of is that Home Depot replaced the old wooden door with a vinyl covered one using the same opener about 6 weeks ago and alot of furniture sanding had been done in the garage but I've ensured that the mechanism is clean.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

/g

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-05, 09:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a friend of mine in SF had a similar problem with his garage door opener.. only it was intermittent.. we found that the springs on the door were borderline when it came to assisting in the lift.. so, carefully we adjusted them to give a little more lift on the door and the door opener didn't have so much pressure when opening, and it worked.. when you pull the release lever on the door opener so the garage door is free from the pully, is there a lot of weight making the door want to close, or is it easy to lift the door open?.. just a thought..

Old 11-09-05, 07:24 PM
eatatjoz
Visiting Guest
If your door opens fine manually, then your gear in that 10 year old opener is about to die.

You can adjust the force setting of the opener, but in less than two months you will be replacing the plastic gear.

After the 7-10 year old grease on that plastic gear coagulates and gets hard, the opener starts "feeling" resistance. This resistance is interperated as a child under the door, and the unit reverses. At this point, the gear has no lubrication (especially in cold weather when the grease is thick) The plastic gear is eating itself with every cycle of the opener. This can be delayed by adding Lithium grease to the worm/sprocket gear, but you will enevitably pay 30-40 bucks for a new gear (and labor if you choose to hire a person to do the work).

To fix the problem... replace the gear and sprocket set.
To delay the problem... lubricate the plastic gears inside of the opener or increase the force(not recommended).

It can be delayed, but only until your wife is trying to get into the house with a full load of groceries while the snow or rain is falling. either way, your going to hear about it!