garage door opener

Old 10-19-05, 07:27 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
garage door opener need advice

I hope I am in the right spot but anyway I have a Sears 1/2 HP chain driven garage door opener model 41A5021-3D made in 99.Problem is the big plastic gear is stripped all to pieces and motor just spins but nothing happens.Gear looks like a pain to replace if it can be replaced any advice?

Old 10-19-05, 08:11 AM
C
I have replaced one of those on my opener, it's not really too hard. Order the kit from Sears, you get everything you need, the gear, grease and other parts, folow the instructions. When your done, make sure your door is lifting and closing easily and lubricate the wheels with a little WD-40.

Old 10-19-05, 04:21 PM
M
thanks cliff

Yes I had my wife go to the sears parts place and buy the kit 20.99 so now I have the kit looks like this weekend I will be doing something besides what I want to do why they are plastic gears is beyond me I think metal would have been a better choice.

Old 10-19-05, 06:31 PM
L
why they are plastic gears is beyond me I think metal would have been a better choice.
Everything is plastic these days.

7-10 years is the normal life of a GDO these days.

You only got 6, and that is a little short. I would look at the operation of the door itself. Replace any pulleys and lube all rollers with oil, not wd-40.

All wd-40, silicon sprays, dry up within a matter of weeks. Wd-40 will actually break down any oil, grease in the roller. Not good.

Old 10-19-05, 06:42 PM
M
will do

I will lube all rollers I have some LPS-2 that we use at work.I also think the springs need adjusment because the door is a little heavy to lift with the override pulled.Door is a metal single and requires about 20 lbs to lift.
If I move spring one or two holes back that should make it less.I am not sure if door is supposed to stay up on its own but it does not now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: