Craftsman opener #139.53513 won't work

Old 11-03-05, 11:36 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Craftsman opener #139.53513 won't work

When I press the remote, the opener buzzes once then buzzes again, but nothing moves even though the remote is talking to it. I can manually open the door, a single roll-up, and it seems to move freely.
I have read all the postings, checked for obstructions at the door, unplugged the unit to reset it in case the two recent power outages have caused the problem.
I can't tell whether there's a problem with the gear--don't know if I've found the gear, actually, but the chain is attached at the top part although there's a little sag in it. Must say the owners manual hasn't been much help.
Any suggestions as to what the problem is would be very welcome.
Thanks, Ginger

Old 11-03-05, 03:21 PM
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Check the Trolly, I'll bet it is stuck on the bolt just in front of the motor head. loosten the chain by backing off the 5/16 adjustment nut until the trolly and bolt have a space between the two. then run the opener down 6 inches or so and stop it by un-pluging it. Tighten the chain back up, then adjust the up limit (screws on the left side of the motor head) so the trolly can't touch the stop bolt. This is a common problem and if it happens again there are electric contacts inside that will need to be cleaned

Old 11-03-05, 05:25 PM
G
Thank you for your answer.

Now that you've said it, that's exactly what it sounds like...that something's trying to move but is binding up. One short side of the chain going onto the sprocket is very tight, the chain coming out of the sprocket and around is looser. I don't, however, actually see the chain binding, so I'm assuming it's inside the box. Right?

I want to make sure I understand what parts I should be working with before I touch anything. Is the adjustment nut the two nuts on the threaded rod that hold the chain retainer bracket? Whoever installed this thing didn't use a 5/16ths" but a couple of 1/2" which makes me think I'm looking at the wrong thing.

It's really terrific getting help figuring this out. I hope you don't mind this extra set of questions.

G C

Old 11-03-05, 05:56 PM
My mistake, 1/2 inch wrench is correct, it's a 5/16 threaded rod. You are on the right track

Old 11-03-05, 06:33 PM
G
Great!
Tomorrow after the sun's been up for awhile, I'll head for the garage with a 1/2" wrench.
Thank you.
G

Old 11-04-05, 05:04 PM
G
Just one more thing before I start

Well actually, two questions:

1) Is the chain under load? (in other words if I make a mistake will the chain recoil on me?)

2) I can't see anything binding the chain itself. Might the binding be inside the box that holds the motor and gears?

I so hope you don't mind all these questions. I'm a little timid about working on this until I understand it better. (because it's so huge).
Ginger

Old 11-04-05, 05:58 PM
The chain is under load one one side because the trolly is stuck against the bolt,and this has bound the motor up. Just back the nut off like I said and follow the directions in my previous post. Nothing is going to recoil.

Old 11-05-05, 05:06 PM
G
A busy spell

Just got back from a bunch of committments and am ready to tackle this again.
Thanks for your reply. I'll give it a try, then. Thanks! G.

Old 11-09-05, 04:09 PM
G
Success!

I finally found the time and got up the nerve to go try to fix the darn door.

I followed your instructions precisely and as I did, they began to make sense. I could feel the chain loosen, ran the door down a little (to a loud clanking of chains hitting their guides.) What a great feeling to have it move!!!

Then I adjusted the up limit/force to fix the problem...it took a lot of adjustment so it must really have been slamming upward!

Thank you so much for your help! You saved me a lot of money and made me feel really confident. Plus now I understand how the thing works.
Best regards,
Ginger

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: