cross section of garage door jamb and brick molding

Old 11-24-05, 08:25 PM
ifd45
Visiting Guest
cross section of garage door jamb and brick molding

Does anyone have a link to a diagram of a garage door opening including the jamb,sheet rock and brick molding? Thanks

Old 11-30-05, 07:58 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No link to a diagram. Around here, garage doors with brick on each side are trimmed out with a 2x8. No brick moulding on the outside, just butt the brick up to the 2x8. On the inside, most people install the 2x8 a 1/2" proud of the inside framed wall so that the inside edge of the 2x8 is flush with the sheetrock once it is installed. I like to trim out the inside with 1x4's. I round over the edge away from the opening and run the 1x4's all the way to the ceiling on each side so that the garage door hardware can be mounted on the 1x4's. In the middle of the door, I use a 1x12, again run from the opening to the ceiling so that the center spring support can be mounted there. Then, I run a 1x4 between the 1x12 and the 1x4 on each side. The sets the garage door inboard 3/4", so you have to allow for this when the foundation is poured if there is a drop at the entrance. The rough opening is framed 3" over the door with (18'3" for an 18' wide door) so that the 2x8's bring it down to 18' even. If necessary, you can install a 1x2 trim with or without weatherstripping. Gee, a diagram would have been easier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: